- Puppies must be between 2-4 months (8-16 weeks) of age at the start of class.
- Verification of vaccinations. As long as your puppy is involved in an active vaccination program and has maternal antibodies (he gets those from mom), he is protected and can attend class. If you are concerned about when your puppy should start class, click here.
- Your puppy must have Negative results of a Fecal Exam (including Giardia).
- Please bring your dog on a regular nylon leash and collar (no extendable flexi leads please) with some small, soft, smelly treats.
Socialize your puppy now! According to the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB):
This class is a must for new puppy owners. Early socialization is crucial for your puppy's development. Puppy Preschool is designed to help you get off to the right start with your new puppy.
We will spend time doing some light obedience training, discussing puppy issues, and answering your questions about what's happening at home with your pup, laying a strong foundation for a long and happy life with your pup.
Our discussions cover topics like socialization and play, house training, crate training, chewing, puppy biting, fear issues, puppy management, and proper handling of a puppy.
General information is also provided on feeding, health, grooming, and the stages of puppy development. We also discuss how to play with your puppy and we begin to work on coming when called and sit and down training. Responsible dog ownership tips are included as well.
Each week, your puppy will also get to romp off-leash with the other puppies and meet all the people. You will get to learn about body language and proper play.
This 6-week class includes everything you need to earn your puppy an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal.
The cost is $200. Includes a clicker.
|Week One’s Theme is Attention||Week Four’s Theme is Proximity|
|Week Two’s Theme is Confidence||Week Five’s Theme is Health|
|Week Three’s Theme is Calmness||Week Six is Graduation|
SOCIALIZATION • TRAINING • ACTIVITY • RESPONSIBILITY
The S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is an exciting program designed to get dog owners and their puppies off to a good start.
This is an incentive program provided by the AKC for loving dog owners who are willing to take the time to bring their puppies through a basic puppy training and socialization class. Your instructor can administer the test at the end of your 6-week session.
To pass, your puppy simply demonstrates basic behaviors that we have covered in class, including showing that he has learned to walk a short distance on a leash, that he can sit and down with a food lure, and come when called. He must also demonstrate that he will allow you to take away a treat or a toy, that he will allow petting by a person other than you, and allow you to examine his ears and feet.
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Test Items:
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)